Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Southern-Style Skillet Cornbread

Week 25

This week's host was Jen she choose Southern-Style Skillet Cornbread. Recipe on page 55 of our book.

I was looking forward to baking cornbread this week because I am in search of a cornbread as yummy as " Lehi Roller Mills" cornbread.

I am a little embarrassed this week because there are no pictures of my cornbread. If you can picture it in your mind it was a beautiful round yellowish bread, browned on top, and a little cracked when it came out of the oven. It really looked nice.

Unfortunately I didn't have a cast iron skillet. This is what the recipe called for. I used my spring formed pan that I bought for our cheese cake. It seemed to work great and I could serve it right from the pan.

The recipe had a few instructions that were very different from the usually cornbread recipe. It wanted us to heat the pan before hand and then add the oil and heat it in the oven until smoking. I just put the oil in and heated the whole thing. Plus I dropped the temperature down to 400 degrees from 450. I've had some burning issues in this baking club. (LOL, 450 degrees seemed to hot.)

   
This is the only picture I remembered to take. They had us toast the cornmeal before-hand. Good idea because toasted stuff is always better.

The cornbread was very different from what we expect cornbread to taste like. My family and I are big fans of sweeter corn bread. This recipe might of won our tastes buds over if it had some sugar in it. My daughter was the only won who ate it, but she had butter and honey all over it. If you want a non-sweet cornbread this might be the recipe for you.

Again I apologize for lack of pictures. We didn't keep the cornbread because it wasn't going to get eaten at our home. I remembered to take pictures after it was gone. Danget!

A Tip & A Question:
  1. Ingredients can give you a good idea of what the recipe will taste like before you make it.
  2. Would adding a cup of sugar to the recipe ruin it or just make it sweet?

3 comments:

  1. WELL! thats so good that cozy likes something!! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this just before I made mine and almost added a cup of sugar to try it for you. :). I bet the northern style cornbread would be better for our Utah taste buds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE prefer sweeter cornbread also. It was fun to try.

    ReplyDelete