Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Black & White Cookies

Week 26

This week's host was Janet she choose Black and White Cookies. Recipe on page 202.

My family and I always love cookies so we were excited to try a different recipe this week. 


Looks pretty good eh!

Do you like how I tired to imitate the picture in the book?

Not as good as the picture in the book, but I am still happy with how they turned out. This cookie was a real art to try and get it looking perfect. The black and white colors are a stunning contrast. They would make an impressive show for serving, maybe with a few strawberries or raspberries scattered in-between the cookies.


Whipping up the cookie dough was simple. The recipe called for cake flour which gave the cookies a moist soft texture. This was really nice. As you can see above the dough looks more like cake dough then cookie dough but it stilled turned out as cookies.


When it was time to bake the cookies I put them in for the allotted time, 15 minutes. Unfortunately that was a bit to long. The perfect time in my oven was 13 minutes.

I had to taste one before icing was smeared all over them. Really good cookie, not a strong flavor but I enjoyed then just the same.


The icing was made of confectioner's sugar. Typical icing but they added corn syrup. Correct me if I am wrong but that is what made my icing so hard. It wasn't spreadable. I had to ice my cookies on the stove with the icing on the burner to keep it spreadable. That was really annoying.


Wow! That is a lot of cookies and I even ran out of white icing at the end. (notice picture on left) There was only a couple tablespoons of chocolate icing left, not enough to ice the rest of the cookies, if it were still white. I ended up laying the icing on pretty think to get it smooth. Not a fan of a lot of icing but at the time I was going for looks. Maybe if it was a thinner layer there would of been enough icing for all the cookies. When I was finished I had a lot of cookies! The recipe said it made 24 large cookies. In the end I came out with over three dozen. I wonder how big their cookies are.


They turned out really good. I was happy with the result. The cookies themselves were the best part. The icing was way to sweet. I wished I would of left half with no icing. My goal is to make these cookies again and come up with my own frosting. (Less frosting) Plus maybe then you won't notice how imperfect they look.

But the best part was. . .


I got to use my supper cute cookie jar. (Thanks to my Mom)

A Tip & A Question:
  1.   Always do a few minutes less in the oven then what's directed. This will ensure no burning.
  2. What is the best was to get a really smooth iced cookies? Is it a special tool or a creative tip?


3 comments:

  1. My frosting was pretty thick too so I added water to thin it up. This worked well and the frosting still got hard after sitting on the cookie for an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My icing ran thin, I wonder if I boiled it for a shorter time? Hmm. I am in LOVE with your cookie jar!! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cookie jar. Your cookies look great. Such a fun cookie.

    ReplyDelete