Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Coconut Macaroons

Week 23

This week's host was Emily she choose Coconut Macaroons. Recipe on page 191 of our book.

MACAROONS AGAIN! YES! I was really excited that Emily picked this recipe. Now I have the opportunity to redeem "the Macaroon". The French Macaroon Sandwich was not a hit in our home. This brought me to the conclusion that Macaroons were just not for me. A couple of weeks ago, at a party,I was explaining to my friend about my experience with the Macaroon Sandwich. She said to try the Coconut Macaroon which so happened to be served that day. Yummy! It was so good. That is why I was so excited when I saw what Emily choose to bake this week.


As you can see they look great and taste just that good as well. I couldn't believe how easy they were to make. Coconut, egg whites, sugar, and almond extract. That's it. There was a variation to add chocolate to the bottom. A variation for chocolate? That seems like a no brainier to me. Any desert is better with chocolate! Since the chocolate was a variation I didn't buy baking chocolate because it wasn't in the recipe list. Back to the store to by the bars of baking chocolate for $6.00. Better be worth it for that price.


Here is the melted Ghirardelli chocolate. It worked beautifully. The recipe called for 6 ounces of chocolate for 24 cookies. The recipe made 32 cookies for me and I used 8 ounces of chocolate. (2 baking bars) Just a side note since I will be making these again.


When they came out of the oven the cookies looked so white I thought they weren't baked through, but with the toasted top it didn't stay in the oven any longer. I think they look really pretty. Next time I might try drizzling the chocolate on top.


We couldn't wait to try them so some disappeared for the chocolate was set fully. Everyone loved them. Like you couldn't guess. Just in case I didn't mention before they will be made again. :)

A Tip & A Question:
  1. A great cookie to make ahead because the dough can sit in the refrigerator for a couple days.
  2. How many different Macaroons are there?

1 comment:

  1. Chocolate is a complete no-brainer for me too. They look perfect! I bet they tasted amazing with good chocolate. I should try that next time, I just melted chocolate chips this time. :)

    ReplyDelete