Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Creme Caramel

Week 42

This weeks host was Michelle. She choose Creme Caramel. Recipe on page 457 of our book.

I was in serious procrastination to make this week's recipe. It looked like Crème brûlée which I am not a huge fan of but it was good to know that my husband loves the desert. He was my motivation this week. It always feels good to bake something for someone you love especially if it's their favorite. I skimmed the recipe early in the week and notice that the ingredients were pretty much the same except for how you use the eggs, (in this case you use some yolks and some whites). Good thing I read that part, relating back to my screw up with the Crème brûlée. The sauce was also different, a caramel sauce, no comment, wish it was a chocolate sauce. None the less I was motivated to make a perfect Creme desert that my husband would love.


I am almost embarrassed to put this picture up. My caramel sauce is more like a chocolate sauce color. Maybe, secretly I thought that burning the caramel sauce would magically turn it into chocolate sauce. Well, it didn't.

I decided to half the recipe since only two of us would be eating it. I am pretty sure that made a difference in the cooking time for the caramel because it turned into caramel and burnt caramel so fast I thought maybe it was supposed to be that dark. (Dumb thought.) I should of made the caramel again but instead I plugged along and finished the recipe.

The out come wasn't good. My husband said if it wasn't for the burnt sauce it would of been wonderful. I will take his word on it because, as you can see, I took one bite and that was it. So sorry to ruin the recipe Michelle. Maybe I will try it again one day when I am feeling extra generous towards my hubby.

Click HERE for the recipe.

A Tip & A Question:
  1. When halving recipes make sure you count for cooking time. Sometimes it can make a difference.
  2. How does the caramel stay running when chilled in the fridge?

3 comments:

  1. Before I read your post I really thought you had used chocolate sauce, so at least it looks yummy! And it gave us the idea to use chocolate if there is ever another time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't figure out how to comment on the apple dumpling post so I thought I'd leave it here and kill two birds with one stone! First of all, the apple dumpling looks lovely. I thought it was kind of funny that they chose the crescent rolls too. I guess it will be good to remember for days when I don't have time but want something fancy. And I love your creme 'chocolate'. :) I don't think I cooked my caramel long enough, too bad we can't combine ours and get a happy medium. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, it's fixed now. Thanks for the comments...glad we are on the same page. :)

      Delete