Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Glazed Chocolate Cream Roll

Week 49

This week it was Michelle's turn to host. She choose the Glazed Chocolate Cream Roll. Recipe on page 258 of our book.

 A cake roll which am sure I have when young. It was never chocolate but a jam roll which is the recipe before this one in the book. I can't lie but wish that we were baking the jam one instead. Reading through the ingredients and seeing the the base of the cream was marshmallow cream gave me a negative attitude about the filling. Oh well, the rest was chocolate so it couldn't be that bad, eh.


Here it is! I am sure glad we had a glaze to put on top. Mostly just to cover up the cake that didn't look so pretty, also the glaze looks much more chocolaty. :) It turned out good I thought. Everything went smoothly. The only thing was the cream was a bit grainy from the extra sugar added. Not sure if that was me or not. All and all it was good except for the cream...was not a fan of marshmallow cream. I think it would of been divine with a whipped cream in the middle.


Rolling the cake was pretty easy other then it keep sticking to my greased parchment paper. The cake might of been a bit to cool for rolling which is my guess for why it stuck to the paper.


We all had a piece for dessert last night. Everyone liked it, but no one loved it. The rest went with my husband to work today. We'll see what they think of it. Next time I would love to try the jam roll.

A Tip & A Question:
  1. The book is right when they tell you to roll and spread cream while the cake is still warm. That really makes a difference in the end result of the cake.
  2. What other kind of cream could you use for the swirls?

4 comments:

  1. Funny, while I was mixing up my cream, I thought to myself "I bet Jen thought this was so disgusting"....and I was right! I'm not crazy about marshmallow cream either, but I agree that a whipped cream of some sort would be yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the filling was grainy as well. I like marshmallow but thought it would have been better if it was smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have to try the ice cream filling like Amanda - I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a stabilized whipped cream would be delicious in this. And then you could fold some crushed oreos into the whipped cream before spreading it onto the cake. Or mint chocolate chip ice cream would be good too. I guess the jury is split on the marshmallow cream, we are either eating it with a spoon or repulsed by it. It kinda makes me wish I tried the controversial stuff.

    ReplyDelete