Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Lattice-Top Peach Pie

Week 29

This week's host was Talesha she choose Lattice-Top Peach Pie. Recipe on page 376 of our book.

To be honest I procrastinated on baking the pie this week only because I was a little skeptical of peach pie. I like peaches and all, just have never had them in a pie. Well, I guess you could say I was just being a wimp. Earlier this week I was thinking back to the strawberry-rhubarb pie we made. Mine pie was runny and the bottom crust wasn't baked all the way through. This made me worry that the peach pie would turn out the same. 


Like most recipes we bake, I was pleasantly surprised. The peaches were the perfect sweetness, tenderness, and were bursting with flavor.  Hmm pie crust! Who doesn't enjoy pie crust? Even the burnt stuff around the edges is so yummy you have to pick it off and eat it. Luckily my edges fell down in the oven so some crust came off. It didn't look as pretty but it sure tasted good.


I had difficulty making a perfect 10 1/2 by 13 1/2 rectangle. It was required to use a straight edge because of the lattice design we were making. First I was to long, then to short. It was very frustrating. Finally. . .


I made the perfect rectangle. :) Now I was able to slice it into smaller/longer rectangles for my lattice design. The butter knife was used to separate the slices so when frozen they didn't stick together.


Now time to add the peaches. (I have to mention that these peaches are from the farmers market in down town Salt Lake. I am not a fan of the rock hard peaches they sell in the grocery stores. I was just lucky enough that my husband was going down town on Saturday, so him and our little girl took a trip to the farmers market.) The difference with the peach filling compared to the strawberry-rhubarb filling was cornstarch. I think adding cornstarch to the fruit filling really helped the sauce consistency not be so runny.


Making the lattice design was pretty fun other then the dough tore very easily. You can see where I had to patch it up. Good thing when the dough bakes it hides your mistakes.


Topped with some whipped cream and the pie was gone within a half hour. We had our neighbors over to help us eat it. Everyone loved it, even my hubby who doesn't like peaches had two pieces. I am really pleased at the how it turned out and will be making this pie again.

Click on Talesha's name at the top of my post for the recipe.

A Tip & A Question:
  1. Make sure the pie is dark brown all over to ensure the crust is cooked all the way through. I baked my pie at 400 degrees at the beginning instead of 450, as indicated by the book. I feel that my oven is extra hot. By the end of the baking I left the pie in a few minutes longer to be sure the crust was fully baked through.
  2. Can you pre-bake the bottom half of the pie crust before adding the filling?

5 comments:

  1. jen! i can answer your second question! i always asked my great grandmother this who was famous for her apple pies and well any pie!! you can use a pree baked pie crust for the typical banana cream pia and (spelling here orry) marainge (sorry) pies like lemon.. or in other words any pie that doesnt need to be baked after you put the filling in. becuase you bake all other pies with tops and what not again, the bottom would get way to cooked, and burn as the top part bakes. same with pumpkin pies. thats what my grandma always taught me! hope that helps and i didnt sound stupid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janelle. That answers my question perfectly. I will take your advice. (Grandmothers) It's so good to get other peoples opinions on baking.

      Delete
  2. It looks great! I have wondered the same thing myself, what if I baked the bottom crust partially, cooked the filling in a saucepan to thicken it and then add the top and just bake it until the top is done. I am going to try it one of these days and let you know! :)I always end up having to put a foil ring on my pie crust because the edges of the top brown too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen,

    That is a pretty awesome looking pie, your lattice looks great! I love peach pie!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still intimidated by pie. I'm excited to give it a try though. This one looks pretty Jen!

    ReplyDelete