Thursday, May 10, 2012

New York-Style Crumb Cake

Week 19

This week's host was Jenn she choose New York-Style Crumb Cake. Recipe on page 230-231 of our book. I apologize for the late post this week. I baked the cake on Saturday but we went out of town and didn't get back until late last night. It's now first thing Thursday morning and I am sitting in bed trying to get the post done. I also didn't take a lot of pictures for this recipe, don't know why. Maybe it had to do with the crazy morning. At least I got a picture of it while it was being eaten.


This cake turned out perfect! It was easy to bake and didn't take the whole day which is my kind of baking. The cake had great cinnamon flavor, was light, fluffy, and the topping texture was a perfect contrast to the cake. My husband thought it was a little dry but that is expected of him. He thinks most baking is dry no matter what. It almost reminded me of German baking which I love.


Like I mentioned above it was a simple cake to make. The dough mixture that was on top took a while to crumble. You can see in the bowl I had bigger crumbs then the pan. The book indicated that they should be the size of a pea but I got lazy. Then realized it didn't look to appetizing so I crumbed it more. It would of been easier to take the dough piece by piece and crumble it into a new bowl or on top of the batter instead of the same bowl. Crumbling in the same bowl made it difficult because the dough mixture would stick back together if you picked it back up. Hope that made sense.


It was really yummy with milk, of course! I will make this again for sure. My kids loved it! It was gone in a day.

A Tip & A Question:
  1. Make sure you take the time to crumble the topping really small. This will give you a tastier crumb texture on the finished product.
  2. Could you add more buttermilk to the recipe to make it more moist? (For my hubby's sake)

2 comments:

  1. oh this one looks really good jen! i love reading all about your baking stuff every week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really good! I am so glad you read the blog! That makes me feel so good! I can't wait to see you, we can bake together!!!

    ReplyDelete