Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Classic Pancakes with choice of Maple Syrup


Week 18

This week's host was Jesse she choose Classic Pancakes. Recipe on page 63 of our book. She also added a choice of your own Maple Syrup. Recipe on page 64 of our book.


 I was really excited for this week's recipe. Two reasons: first is my family and I were really sweated out, second is I have never made pancakes that were good enough to make again in our house. This week was a nice break from sweets and gave me something to make for dinner along with a new pancake recipe that me and the kids loved! With that said you can see how nice, fluffy, and golden brown that stack is above.

There was a number of pancake versions for this recipe. I choose the whole wheat version with blueberry maple syrup.


As you can see my batter is very thick. This made me nervous because in the past my batter has been this thick also and the pancakes turned out to dense and dry. So with that thought in mind I was really tempted to add some milk or water to smooth it out, but the recipe was very clear on not over mixing the batter at all. In fact your only supposed to mix the recipe until barely combined. A few flour streaks is recommended. With this said I left the batter the way it was.


The problem with thick batter is it doesn't naturally spread into a nice circle. I used my spatula and got pretty close. 

Yes, I know my skillet is really small but my bigger one barely fits two pancakes and I didn't want them running together. I really should invest in a bigger one eh.

"This is the best food." Says Cosette
Well as you can see they turned out great! Fluffy yummy pancakes. I had to have strawberries and whip cream on some as well. The blueberry syrup was good but it tasted more like maple syrup then blueberry syrup. Maybe next time I need more blueberries. Oh well, I love maple syrup to so it's not a loss other then I need to figure out how to enhanced the berry flavor. Thanks for the yummy dinner Jesse.

A Tip & A Question:
  1. The temperate of your skillet is so important. Make sure it's just below medium heat to create a slow cooking golden brown pancake.
  2. Any suggestions on how to smooth out the batter a little without wrecking the pancake. I would like the to try and thinner batter.

1 comment:

  1. They look delicious! Good call with the strawberries and whipped cream. I am going to have to try the whole wheat variation!

    ReplyDelete