Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Lunchbox Brownies

Week 10

This week's host was Liz she choose Lunchbox Brownies. Recipe on pages 205-206 of our book.

First, I just have to say that I was really excited to make these brownies this week. Number one because I love homemade brownies and second I have been searching for a good brownie recipe.


I know what your thinking. . . and yes I agree. They look so good! I choose to do a half variation of the German chocolate brownies. I made a little change to the topping. Instead of melting all butterscotch chips on top I halved them with chocolate chips. This turned out amazing because it made the brownies more flavorful and, of course, taste so much better. My favorite was the coconut on top!

You can see I used tin foil to line the pan. It was a great tip form our cooking book which resulted in less cleaning and easy removal of the brownies. I only had one problem and don't know if this was related to the tin foil or not. My brownies were still very doughy in the middle after 27 minutes of baking. (This is the longest recommended time for baking the brownies.) The recipe also said to bake until a toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs attached. I was so nervous that they were going to be over done but continued to bake them for about 10 to 15 more minutes, in five minute intervals, until done. For some reason every time I bake brownies this happens to me. I normally end up with over baked brownies. I think it's a curse. Fortunately I was able to break it this time even though I still had to bake them longer then indicated. They turned out perfectly.


I choose to make mine with the nut option which was so good. Just a little bit of crunchiness on top of this sweet moist brownie was heavenly. Forgot to toast the walnuts though. Dan get! Next time I might try without the nuts only because my husband would prefer them with none.

Next I put the butterscotch and chocolate chips on top, waited five minutes, spread with a spatula. Now my mouth is watering. Can you tell that chocolate is my favorite treat.


Time for the last topping. Toasted cocoanut.



The toasted coconut gives them a great contrast of color along with texture. Everyone in our house enjoyed this treat a lot. I will definitely be making these again. 

P.S. I can't help but think they would be just as good with 3/4 cup sugar instead of one cup.


A Tip & A Question:

  1. Always read recipe through before baking or you'll miss the little things.
  2. Did the tin foil make my baking process take longer then indicated?

8 comments:

  1. I don't know if it was due to the tinfoil, but I had to bake mine longer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine took the recommended time, probably 26-27 minutes, but my oven is usually on the faster side, I checked them after 22 and was sure they would be done, so they did take longer in my oven than expected. I think it's funny we both zeroed in on the german chocolate option but didn't think it was enough (great minds think alike :)) The brownies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try what you did, they look wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, your toppings look amazing! Mine were gooey after 27 minutes, too. After they cooled in the fridge they were a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your brownies look amazing! Great variations! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is with guys and not liking nuts in baking?? Ryan is the same way. And so are the Weiss' clan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a guy thing! So lame. To bad you weren't here, so I could bake for you. We could go nuts. :)

      Delete