Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Creme Brulee

Week 13

This week's host was Jen C. she choose Creme Brulee. Recipe on page 461 of our book.

Don't ask me why I was intimidated by this recipe, but I was. When I think of Creme Brulee it reminds me of an upscale restaurant desert which would imply a difficult derest to bake. Right? Well I has very wrong to find out how easy Creme Brulee was to make. The most difficult part was preparing enough time for it to refrigerate before serving. Other then that it turned out to be a simple, pretty, and sophisticated desert for a dinner party.

P.S. I wish I new how to put the accents above the letters in Creme Brulee.


My favorite part is the burnt raw sugar on top. I am not a huge custard person but the texture was surprisingly smooth. I was sure that with homemade Creme Brulee the texture would be off. Wrong again, I am on a roll. . .


The recipe wanted us to use a roasting pan to put the ramekins in. Mine, unfortunately, is in the top of the garage and I didn't want to go get it. As you can see I used pie pans. They worked great. I decided to half the recipe knowing how rich of a desert this is. I am glad I did because I still got six 4.5 oz. ramekins full of Creme Brulee, which is great. Also, the recipe said to put a dish towel in the bottom of the pan so the ramekins don't slide around when you fill the pan with water. I was nervous about putting a dish towel in the oven so I skipped that step. It seemed to work out just fine because my ramekins fit snug into the pie pans to begin with. 

This picture is right after I pull them out of the oven. I baked them for the longer suggested time (30 minutes) to make sure we didn't have runny custard. If you look closely you can see little bubbles on top. Weird, I wondered if I baked them to long, but they went a way after it cooled.  I guess it wasn't anything to worry about.


I think they look great and my hubby loved it! It would of been nice to serve with berries on top, so I'll keep that in mind for next time.

A Tip & A Question:

  1. Half the recipe feeds six perfect servings.
  2. How does the creme not go bad when set on the counter for two hours before refrigerating?

3 comments:

  1. I add my accents by coping the text from Jen's post on facebook. I don't know how to do it on my own either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing as Valerie to get my accents over the letters! Hahahaha! So I guess Jen is really the only one who knows. :) They look delicious and at least you have a roasting pan, I was feeling like quite a loser for not having one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't even smart enough to copy the facebook post to get the accents... wish I knew how too. I also don't have a roasting pan... two strikes. I think your creme brulee looks fantastic. I thought it was a lot of fun too. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete