Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie


Week 16

This week's host was Valerie she choose Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie. Recipe on page 374 of our book.



I was thrilled to make this pie because my Mother used to make Rhubarb pie when I was young. This is the only thing I remember her doing with the rhubarb, which she grew in our back yard. After the trouble every one had trying to find rhubarb in the stores I questioned: what else do you do with rhubarb? Eat it raw. Doesn't sound mouth watering to me. Good thing we thought of pie because I love it. This recipe adds strawberries with it the rhubarb, which sounds even better to me.
So here we go!



We had a couple pie crust options. I used the "All-Butter Double-Crust Pie Dough" on page 359 of our book. Oh, it was so yummy!! Moist but flaky. You can see the top of the pie shimmers after it's baked. This is an egg white sprinkled with raw sugar. The recipe called for granulated sugar but this sugar is so much prettier, healthier, and taster. Three more reasons to use it other then the price. $$$ Yikes. So the filling got the other stuff.

I will definitely make this pie crust again and do one thing differently. My pie looked done 10 minutes early so I pulled it out worried about having a burnt crust. Turns out the bottom of the pie crust wasn't baked through completely. My solution is bake your pie crust about 10 minutes at 375 F. Take it out,  put the filling in, and the top of the pie crust on. This should even out the baking of two crust. 


It doesn't show to well in this picture but my pie is super soupy. In this picture I dumped most of the sauce out and soaked up the rest with a paper towel. The recipe talked about this problem. There answer was to mix the sugar in the the fruit and let it sit for about an hour stirring occasionally to let juice drain out. Then  after straining the fruit keep 1/4 cup juice to add with the rest of ingredients and fruit. Did not work at all! I think next time I won't keep any of the juice.


This pie was so good. I think the strawberry and rhubarb together is a perfect combination. Other then to much liquid and an undercooked bottom pie crust. I enjoyed it with two scoops of ice cream. As well did my kids and husband who doesn't like rhubarb pie. That's a win, and next time it will be even better. We have made two pie crusts in our baking club so far and I am starting to feel more confident. My goal is to feel totally confident by the holidays so I can serve an all homemade pie. Yummy!

A Tip & A Question:
  1. Make sure the bottom pie crust is baked through before taking it out of the oven. If it's not done put tin foil over the top of your pie to prevent it from burning.
  2. Any other tips for a less soupier pie.

10 comments:

  1. I am so glad you like the rhubarb! I was starting to think I was the only person that likes rhubarb. Your pie looks so pretty. Another thing that might help with the liquid is to had more fruit. Especially the rhubarb seems to soak up the liquid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I will add more rhubarb next time. I thought rhubarb pie was normal to. I guess we are the abnormal people.

      Delete
  2. Your pie looks so good! We grew rhubarb in the backyard too. My sister would eat it raw, with a little salt sprinkled on it... super tart. I love rhubarb pie too. Wish I could have found some. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to find some rhubarb {or grow my own!} and really try this! You make it sound so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pie looks beautiful! So glad you liked it! I find I have to cover the top with foil (at least partially) for part of the time so it doesn't brown faster than the bottom too. Must just be some oven compared to others I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strawberries??? What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know eh Angie! Rhubarb is better with strawberries.

      Delete
    2. I know eh Angie! Rhubarb is better with strawberries.

      Delete
    3. I know eh Angie! Rhubarb is better with strawberries.

      Delete
    4. I know eh Angie! Rhubarb is better with strawberries.

      Delete