Wednesday, February 1, 2012

7 Layer Bars

Week 5

This week's host was Jesse she choose 7 Layer Bars. Recipe on page 215 of our book.


Yummy Bars! I love bars. All the ingredients to this recipe looked so yummy. Chocolate, toffee, toasted coconut, and toasted pecans with a graham cracker crust. How could they not taste good. I have been under the weather this week with a bad cold so I procrastinated baking until last night.


I bet your are looking at the picture above wondering why it bubbled and skinned. That is the sweeten condensed milk. When milk gets to hot a layer of skin is formed on the top. That is what happened to my bars accept it wouldn't peel off. I also think the milk didn't drain down into the bar like it appears to do in the picture of our book. The only solution to my baking problem is that the recipe said to line the baking dish with tin foil. As you can see I skipped that step. I guess my thought was, it wouldn't make a difference . To give myself the benefit of the doubt I was sick with a cold which made my head all foggy, so I wasn't thinking clearly.

Bake 52 group: What did your bars do?

Overall the bars tasted good but a little to sweet for my taste buds. 

There is one other thing I did differently. The recipe called for milk chocolate to be melted a spread over the graham cracker crust. I used dark chocolate chips instead. Then used them again later in the layering of the bar which the recipe called for. I don't think that made a difference. Chocolate chips are chocolate, right.

Note: I had to use dark chocolate of course! There is nothing better then the bittersweet taste of really dark chocolate.

A Tip & A Question:
  1. When baking something new always follow the recipe exactly. Unless you are a professional baker.
  2. What does lining a pan with tin foil do to baking other then save you from cleaning a big mess?

8 comments:

  1. How strange the way the milk skinned over like that. I don't think that the foil sling would have made it any different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. . .if it's not the foil. I am truly stumped. Maybe there is something wrong with my oven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, mine kind-of looked weird too. I thought/hoped it would melt down through the layers and look pretty. Didn't really happen. The original recipe has you pour the sweetened condensed milk over the crust, and then top with toppings. Anyway, live and learn. I don't think there's anything wrong with the two layers of dark chocolate. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine bubbled up too, just on the edges. Didn't look as pretty, but still tasted just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if maybe you pressed the ingredients into the crust a little too much, leaving no space for the milk to seep in? It's so strange that some had this problem, and some didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine kind of did that too on top. That's another reason I was wondering if it could be another layer that isn't exposed. Or maybe they meant to have it do that to seal the top up???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to do the foil as well, but mine was just fine. I wonder if it has to do with how much you press your layers down before you put the sweetened condensed milk on top?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That makes me feel better Rebekah. That's why we are all in this club, right?

    Jesse and T+C, that is a good solution to the problem. Maybe I shouldn't of pressed the layers down at all. Anyway, the only thing is I might never find out because it was so sweet it probably won't be baked again.

    Thanks for all your input! I love it! Keep it coming on future recipes.

    ReplyDelete